[gnome-freebsd] Configuring XDM to load Gnome 2 (OpenBSD)

While this is an OpenBSD question and not directly related to FreeBSD,
it's likely this is relevant for both systems:
Now that I've got Gnome 2 installed on OBSD 3.3, I need to configure XDM/startx to load Gnome 2 instead of the clunky default window manager. I've searched around for existing documentation on doing this configuration, but I've found nothing. Please send me a link if you know where I can find this information or include it directly in a relpy. Note that I have tried the following statement:
echo 'exec gnome-session' > .xsession
But, when I execute 'xdm' and login, I am presented with the login
screen again (thus, I am unable to log in).

Do you Yahoo!?