[gnome-freebsd] Can't configure glib-2.0.7

Hi,
Basically, I'm trying to install galeon on my freebsd 4.7 box. Seems that
galeon requires a newer version of glib. I downloaded the latest version
but when I try to configure it, it complains:

configure: error: *** No iconv() implementation found in C library or libiconv

Actually libiconv is installed. I downloaded the latest version (1.8) from
gnu.org and reinstalled it anyway, but it didn't help. I checked
config.log, and found this:

configure:4052: checking for iconv_open

configure:4089: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c  >&5

/tmp/cc8ZlQ0K.o: In function `main':

/home/lg/tmp/glib-2.0.7/configure(.text+0x9): undefined reference to
`iconv_open'

configure:4092: $? = 1

configure: failed program was:

#line 4058 "configure"

It's too strange. Actually, I tried this small program:

#include <iconv.h>

int main ()
{
  char (*f) ();
  f = iconv_open;
  return 0;
}

and it compiled without problem:

[*^_^*://braveheart/home/lg/tmp]gcc -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib
-liconv test.c
test.c: In function `main':
test.c:6: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
[*^_^*://braveheart/home/lg/tmp]

I tried to compile glib on a RedHat Linux 7.3 machine, it showed no problem
at all. I think I have no clue what is going on here. Hope someone can help
me. Thanks in advance.

USTC Alumni Email System, http://mail.ustc.edu,  FREE Signup.