Re: dead xml files getting to translators!

Hi Joachim,

Yesterday at 23:36, Joachim Noreiko wrote:

> Looking at the Spanish bug, I see files like
> gosmetacity.xml and goscustaccess.xml in the po file!
>
> This is ancient crap! It's not loaded by the User
> Guide, and it hasn't been maintained or updated for
> ages.

Likely due to translator using "xml2po C/*.xml" instead of g-d-u
stuff (or status pages) which respects DOC_INCLUDES.

> And yet we have made translators work through it.

Not really, Spanish translator Francisco Serrador is a bit more
skilled for his own good: he's one of first xml2po users, so he
probably just uses it the way he's used to.  (I usually do it that way
myself, since it's simpler and quicker ;)

So, there was more work only for him (which is still bad).  The proper
solution would be removing those files from CVS so nobody makes the
same mistake again.

> How many hours of their time have we wasted?
>
> I am pretty pissed off about this.

Probably a lot for him.  But, only 103 messages out of his 462
translations apply to these two files, so it's not that bad.  Also, 52
messages are also present in other files, so it's basically just the
work of translating 51 messages otherwise not needed.

Generally, don't be pissed off.  For anyone grabbing a PO file from

  http://kvota.net/doc-l10n/by-modules.html#gnome-user-guide

that wouldn't have had happened, and this is a recommended way of
doing it.

Cheers,
Danilo