Re: Hello

--- Ryan Paul <gaerdin gmail com> wrote:
> I'm Ryan Paul, a tech journalist and computer
> programmer with an
> affinity for open source software and the GNOME
> desktop environment. I
> have written articles on a wide variety of topics
> for a number of
> publication venues including Linux Journal, Tux
> Magazine, NewsForge, IT
> Managers Journal, Linux Weekly News, and Ars
> Technica.
>
> I would like to join the GNOME Documentation Project
> so that I can help
> improve the quality of my favorite desktop
> environment and contribute to
> the betterment of the GNOME community. I have some
> previous experience
> with the DocBook XML format as well as LaTeX and a
> number of other open
> publishing technologies. I generally prefer to work
> with XML whenever
> possible. I am a relatively capable Python/Ruby
> programmer, and I am
> willing to help improve documentation technologies
> as well as the
> documentation itself.

That all sounds fantastic! Welcome to the docs team :)

> I am currently reading through the GNOME
> Documentation Style Guide, and
> I hope to begin contributing shortly. I glanced
> through the available
> tasks listed at the GNOME Live wiki, and I think it
> would be best if I
> started with something relatively simple. If the
> Preferences section is
> still in need of Removable Drives and Media
> preferences coverage, I
> think I can handle that. I am currently using Ubuntu
> Dapper which has
> GNOME 2.13.92, a build from February 28. Is the
> removable drives dialog
> in that build the same as the removable drives
> dialog that will appear
> in the 2.14 release?

That sounds like a good plan. Either a patch or a
snippet of docbook I can drop into place is fine.
Since that's around the time of UI freeze, I'd say
that yes it is.
The release goes to press (or whatever it is we say
here) on Monday morning, so you don't have long if you
want your work to get into 2.14.
I will be working on the UG up to the last minute, so
anytime on Sunday will be fine. You can find me on IRC
if you have any questions or need help with anything.
(I'm wondering how you might handle the many
'command:' widgets. It's going to get really boring to
describe how to use that each time.)
If you don't have time to work on this now, don't
worry about it. That prefs tool will still need
documenting for 2.16, and there will be plenty of
other things to do as well.

Once again, welcome :)

Joachim