Comment on GNOME/GTK developer docs

Hi everyone (and thanks to Karderio who pointed me to this list),

I've had a comment for a while on the GNOME/GTK developer docs but never known where to send it.

I'm an infrequent GNOME/GTK developer and am by no means an expert. By the time I've implemented something it's deprecated by GNOME. I have no issue with this, I'm glad for all your work - but it just leaves me at a dead end.

For example, in my application I used to use normal windows for messages, then I found GnomeDialogs which were much easier. I went back to look at a bit of documentation for GnomeDialog as I've found a problem in my app and came across the following:

"GnomeDialog is deprecated and should not be used in newly-written code."
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/libgnomeui/GnomeDialog.html#GnomeDialog-struct

So, great, you've come up with a new architecture for doing this sort of thing. Cool! But what is it?

When I say this I don't mean "can someone tell me what the replacement for GnomeDialog is" - I mean "could the docs not say XYZ is deprecated and should not be used in newly-written code; instead use XYZng, more information _here_".

This occurs in a huge number of places throughout the dev docs and someone who went through and marked them as deprecated must have known "Oh, GnomeDialog's deprecated because we've now released FooDialog, I'll mark it as deprecated". It would have been helpful if they marked what it has been replaced/superceded by.

Anyway, just a comment - hopefully someone who knows about this stuff may take this task in hand.

Cheers,

Andy

--
Andrew Jeffries