Re: admiting to our flaws

Karderio couldn't replicate the Ataxx bug on his own computer, and
mentioned that it could be specific to my distribution. I have noticed
that the screenshot of Ataxx on the GNOME Live wiki (apparently added
yesterday) shows at least one feature that isn't in the version that I
used while writing the documentation. Should I get the latest version
from cvs and update the documentation accordingly as I am rewriting it
in docbook format?

I definitely think that certain kinds of bugs need to be addressed in
documentation. As a user, I get really irritated when I spend half an
hour trying to figure out what I am doing wrong before realizing that a
particular problem relates to a known bug.

That said, I can understand not wanting to include bug information in
documentation. There are already suitable venues available for
articulating those kinds of program deficiencies, and the documentation
can't cover every bug.

I think that it makes sense to include a Known Issues section at the end
of a doc which could describe issues that directly affect documented
functionality specific to the program, particularly in instances where
the fact that its a bug may not be obvious to the user. I think that
Shaun's admonition boxes are a good solution as well.

I'm hoping this gets through to the list... I seem to be having trouble
with it lately.

-- SegPhault