Re: admiting to our flaws

On 11 Jul 2006, at 18:11, Joachim Noreiko wrote:

Is there a middle ground?
If a certain function or component may be buggy, or a
procedure is tediously complex (adding a way to switch
keyboard layouts when you've just installed new ones,
for example, bug 326138), could we signal this to the
users, and mention (briefly) that GNOME developers are
working on this but could use help?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.
If this is something we think should be done, we could
perhaps devise a short sentence we can use each time
that links to the "contributing to gnome" section of
the user guide.

I don't think I'd like to see "this bit doesn't work very well" explanations in the middle of the user guide, but I guess you could always take the manpage approach and have a "known issues" section at the end. Then you could even just remove that section altogether for stable releases, because apps aren't "stable" if they have any bugs that are so bad that you have to mention them in the user guide, right? :)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team