Re: Wiki user guide

(ccing the docs list to include everybody
The background: karderio and I are discussing the
cleaning up of the User Guide pages on the wiki)

--- karderio <karderio gmail com> wrote:

> Hi :)
>
> I got your message on the user guide wiki page, I
> agree that this
> doesn't seem to have been successful.
>
> I'm going to finish tagging the pages anyhow, as it
> is no more work to
> finish what I started as to go and remove the tags I
> have already
> added ;) I have added a note to the insert saying
> that these pages are
> outdated.
>
> As I mentioned on the doc-list, I think it would be
> a good idea to put
> the docs as they are on to the wiki, that way people
> can correct /
> update them. It would be even easier for the
> contributor to do this than
> to file a bug report. Before each release, we would
> just do a diff to
> see what people have changed and integrate it into
> the official docs, or
> discard it if it is not relevant.

It's a lot of work to get our current docs onto the
wiki, and then every time we make changes in CVS we'd
have to update the wiki too.
Using bugzilla allows someone to just say "this bit of
the guide is wrong" without needing to supply the
correction.

What I think would be most useful for the wiki would
be to list the UG's table of contents only, and mark
on it:
* sections that need updating
* new sections we know need to be written

These can then be worked on new pages by people who
don't want to use DocBook and CVS.
So we'd be updating and extending the guide on the
wiki, but without all the extra work of keeping a
perfect copy there.

It would also give us an overview of the guide's
current structure, and we can discuss ideas to
rearrange it.
What do you think?