Re: Small change in the clock applet

On Wed, January 25, 2006 16:24, Joachim Noreiko wrote:

> --- Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I forgot to tell the doc team about this: the clock
>> applet used to
>> let the user choose the format between
>> 12-hour/24-hour/Internet/UNIX.
>>
>> However, in some locales, it's not even possible to
>> show 12-hour since
>> there's no translation for AM/PM. For those locales,
>> the 12-hour option
>> is not available anymore.
>
> Do you mean that the given language has no term for
> AM/PM because that time format is not used in that
> language, or that GNOME's translation is currently
> missing the terms for AM/PM in that language?

It's not a GNOME translation issue. It's just that AM/PM doesn't
make sense in their locale (or the locale is broken). Eg, in France,
we *never* use AM/PM, so even if I want to display the time as
"5:35 PM", I'll only get "5:35" (there's no string for PM defined in
the french locale). So it doesn't make sense to propose the 12-hour
option in this case.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.