Re: Yelp Help documents

--- Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 23:44 -0700, Brent Smith
> wrote:
> > I've written a manual for Yelp that uses
> gnome-doc-utils.

> Some high-level comments, no writing style nitpicks:

I'd like to make a nitpick ;)

You've used several different verbs to describe
checking an option checkbox. The style guide has some
recommendations on what verb to use. I think it's
probably a good idea to stick to the same verb
throughout your document.
http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/gnome-glossary-desktop.html

> Those subsection titles are all imperatives.  The
> general practice in technical writing is to use
> some sort of noun, which is usually a verbal of
> these things.  That leaves infinitives ("To Go
> to Help Topics") and gerunds ("Going to Help
> Topics").  Sun seems to love infinitive titles,
> but I hate them.

Me too! I'd vote for changing to gerunds at some point
(once the docs match the software and we have time to
nitpick :)