DocBook callouts in yelp

--- Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 23:07 +0000, Joachim Noreiko
> wrote:
> > (by the way, could any of the DocBook experts on
> this
> > list tell me -- do callouts work in yelp, or am I
> > wasting my time trying understand how they work?)
>
> Yelp has very rough support for line-annotation
> callouts and explicit callout lists, but none of
> the callout support is very good at the moment.
> If you want to use them, cook up a draft and send
> it along, and we can see if we can get them better
> supported.

I've thought about this some more and I'm not sure
they're worth it. My idea was that they would save
having to do screenshots for each language. But the
images nearly always show text parts of the
interfaces. So they have to be done for ech language
anyway.

The remaining reasons I can think of for using
callouts:

* it's easier to edit the text (for corrections, etc)
that to remake the image
* it looks better than text in PNGs (in the user's
font, size, colours etc)
* it could help for accessibility. Some users with
visual impairments may be able to see the image, but
would prefer the text read out, or in a large or
contrasted font. Could someone ask the accessibility
team about how useful this would be?

If this last reason is relevant, I'll make a draft. If
not... I might anyway, but I don't think it's very
important to get into yelp.