Re: Yelp in Dapper: boxes for em-space

On 26/02/2006, at 10:09 AM, Alexander Kirillov wrote:

I decided to try latest pre-relaease of Ubuntu Dapper (Flight 4 live
CD), and to my dismay, Yelp in this release shows a lot of 'missing
character" boxes - for example, between any section number and section
title there is a box instead of missing unicode symbol U+2002 or
U+2003 (en-space and em-space respectively). Looks really bad.

Might this problem be affected by the encoding selected by the user?

If it occurs in UTF-8, it's crucial anyway, but I'm wondering if these spaces are supported in all commonly-used encodings. Until we get almost universal UTF-8 usage, we need to consider that.

<snip>

- is htere any real need for them? Clearly, sometimes en space looks
better that a usual space - but given this rendering problem, maybe it
would be better to replace them all by usual old-fashoined space?

Certainly safer with differing encodings/fonts.