gnome-screensaver use circles in password field

I'd like to make gnome-screensaver use a black circle as the "invisible" character in password fields instead of an asterisk [1]? OS X and XP both do this.

Besides that I think it has some advantages:

  * It is cleaner (no edges)
  * It is easier to see (for a11y and on LCD screens in sunlight)
  * It isn't a character that is commonplace on most keyboards

The usability list seems to support this and some are surprised that we aren't using this already.

There is no i18n impact.