Re: Does String Freeze apply to Documentation?

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 10:43 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a quick question about the string freeze: does it apply to
> documentation? By the sound of the activity on the list, it doesn't: so
> when is documentation freeze? Or is there no freeze? Obviously,
> translators will work on the documentation too. What's the position?

There are no official freezes on the documentation.  There's just
no way we can feasibly implement one at this time.  It's certainly
unfortunate that translators can't rely on the documentation being
solid at string freeze.  But the reality is, if we did implement
a documentation freeze, we'd just end up freezing unfinished and
outdated documentation.  That wouldn't help anybody.

The unwritten policy (we should write this policy somewhere) is
that, when the primary authors of a document feel it's ready to
be finished, they should ask for a final proofing.  After that
proofing, they should announce that the document is finalized
to the documentation and translation teams.

--
Shaun