Re: String addition to gnome-terminal

Hi Josep,

Today at 17:18, Josep Puigdemont wrote:

> This is like allowing to break string freeze and not giving
> translators the chance to fix it...
> I think the decision should either be to leave the string out, or to
> officially break string freeze.

No, it's not.  Having 100% translation is useful for more things than
show-off:
 - it's easier to notice new strings/string changes!
(this is important for the same reasons we have a string freeze at all)

Legalese is pretty hard to translate, and that's why I didn't approve
the change (i.e. it's likely to skew the stats).  And it's commonly
binding only if it stays in English (at least for GPL, even if we
generally mark such passages for translation).

Of course, it means that our process is a bit flawed, but until
someone comes to fix it (i.e. devise another way to detect string
freeze breakages), this is the best I can think of.

Using something like gettext() instead of not marking it translatable
at all would not be caught by xgettext, yet it would allow those
interested to translate them themselves and include translated bits in
PO files.  The same reasons that were given by a developer ("they would
rarely be seen, so it's ok to have them untranslated") applies here as
well.

Christian Rose might be of a different opinion, naturally.

Cheers,
Danilo