Re: user guide update

2006/2/11, Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com>:
Just a quick update of what I'm doing...

I've just added the section 'Giving Focus to a Window'
to CVS. Thanks Daniel for your work on this on the
wiki :)

More generally, here are my thoughts on the plan for
2.14 in the time we have left.

Being realistic, I don't think we'll have time before
2.14 to do big rearrangements of topics. I imagine
most users enter the guide somewhere in the middle by
clicking on Help buttons. I would like to add a
section on switching off somewhere prominent, and I
think I mentioned moving stuff on sessions or
workspaces further down, but it's not a priority.

I'm working on the Wiki in diferent sections, here and there, trying to find a consistensy on the documentation, and sure you're on right: the documentation couldn't be finished on the 2.14 realise.

There's a lot of sections I'm itching to rewrite for
general clarity, but again I'm not sure that's the
best use of our time right now.

What we should be able to do is provide 2.14 with a
user guide that is actually up to date :)
I now have access to an up-to-date version of GNOME
(thanks to Brent, yay!!!), so screenshots are a
definite possibility. It's not a disaster that
screenshots show an out of date theme, but it's
something people notice.

Who out there is interested in working on the user
guide?
Some parts are so old that access to 2.12 is enough,
and the method I'm using to get the current build
should be available to everyone soon anyway.

As far as writing DocBook goes, I'm happy for people
to submit single sections to me rather than patches:
that's perhaps easier.
Just wrap paragraphs in <para> and the whole thing in
<section>, just like HTML, but not ;)
IIRC, you can drag an XML file containing no more than
that straight to the Yelp window and it'll display it.

And as far as checking your markup goes, the hackers
on this list will probably kill me for saying this,
but I find that it Yelp doesn't choke on it then it's
probably fine :)

If you'd rather work on the wiki, it's ok to just
indicate what should be changed from the user guide
that comes with 2.12.

I've rambled on for a bit longer than I thought I
would... happy doc writing everyone :)

As I sed, I'm working on the User Guide, in the Wiki, and try to send reports about the changes I made; I'll continue to work in all sections: please see I'm working with out review the current documantation, and writing a new one from the scratch.

"de grano en grano, se hace la arena" (R) (entrámite, pero para los cuates: LIBRE)