Re: smart quotes in docbook - GDP handbook

On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 21:28 +0000, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> I'm looking at the GDP handbook's
> crossreferencing.xml.
> Both the online version and the yelp version show
> smart quotes, making it impossible to copy and paste
> examples of docbook code.
> This is the docbook source:
>
> <programlisting>
> &lt;ulink type=<quote>help</quote>
> url=<quote>ghelp://user-guide?gosbasic-2</quote>&gt;text&lt;/ulink&gt;
> </programlisting>
>
> What should be done with it to prevent this problem?
>
> BTW, I've removed the incorrect slashes from the examples.

If you're writing a DocBook book about DocBook XML with programlistings,
you'll probably find it easier to do this using CDATA sections;
something like this:

<programlisting>
<![CDATA[
    Here's an example of a ulink element (without needing to escape it):
    <ulink foo="bar" ></ulink>
]]>
</programlisting>

(unless you want to document how to use CDATA sections themselves, which
gets a bit meta)

Hope this helps
Dave