Re: our online docs

On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 13:34 +0000, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> I've just noticed that the most recent version of the
> gnome manual online at http://www.gnome.org/learn/ is
> 2.10.
>
> Also, while on the subject of docs online, could we do
> something about the masses of dross we have at the top
> of online manuals such as the Style guide and the GDP
> handbook? Is this just a case of changing the XSLT
> that generates those pages?

Yes. You can simply make them into links. Use the following in the
stylesheets:

    <xsl:param name="generate.legalnotice.link" select="1"/>
    <xsl:param name="generate.revhistory.link" select="1"/>

The second requires a quite recent version of docbook-xsl, I think.

> I know this risks reopening the recent debate on the
> GFDL, but having swathes of legal jargon, stuff in
> capitals, and names of authors before you even get to
> the contents is offputting to newcomers, and makes
> navigating the document a pain because it makes the
> 'home' link essentially useless. If that is genuinely
> the GFDL's intent, then I state again: it's rubbish.

Don't worry, there's nothing in the GFDL that requires the license to
appear at the top of the document in full, AFAICS.

Matt
--
mdke ubuntu com
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF