Re: What's the plan for the user guide?

O/H karderio έγραψε:
On Sat, 2006-02-04 at 14:06 +0000, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
--- Simos Xenitellis <simos74 gmx net> wrote:
Care to back this up? (URL?)
http://live.gnome.org/DocumentationProject_2fTasks
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-doc-list/2005-October/msg00014.html

Though surely this title business is a
misinterpretation of the license? Otherwise it's plain
nuts.

I would guess that it was a misinterpretation, as
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-doc-list/2005-October/msg00014.html
talks of "derivative documents". However the GFDL talks about changing
the title for "modified versions"... Therefore it would seem that the
title must be changed...

I would think that adding a version number at the end of the title would
not legally be considered changing the title, but rather keeping the
same title with an appended number. I think we may as well shed the
version number, as I don't think adding this exposes us any less to
legal threats.

That said, the current user-guide does not seem to respect a few other
things that the GDFL imposes :
* List authors on title page
Hello,
In GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.txt), Section 4, item B, referring to the listing of the authors on the title page, it says
"..., unless [the authors] release you from this requirement."
Are the authors happy without their names on the title page?
The default stylesheets for DocBook XML (html and print) do place the author names with their affiliation on the title page.
* "State on the Title page the name of the publisher"
This is a requirement for modified versions. Are we on this state for the user guide? The default DocBook XML stylesheets do not appear to place the publisher on the title page. They place it on the face of the second physical page.
* Add a copyright notice for modifications
* The legal notice (GDFL license text or reference) does not seem to be
user visible (GNOME 2.12)
The TLDP has an author's guide which has template documents. It's easy to fix these ones, like pasting the <legalnotice></legalnotice> text.
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/index.html
I would agree that the GFDL is just not meant for the task we are using
it for.
In this case I would be interested to see an alternative. Perhaps debian-legal could make up a Debian Documentation License for this.
I think this mail,
puts the situation in perspective.
The thread there is quite active.

Simos