Re: Changing "Linux" with "GNU/Linux" or "GNU"

Hi,

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 17:59 +0100, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> --- Don Scorgie <DonScorgie Blueyonder co uk> wrote:
<snip>

> The fact is, though, that the GDP pretty much has
> carte blanche when it comes to the documentation of
> GNOME-hosted apps.
> (And for apps outside of GNOME, I really have no idea
> how much sway our guidelines have, if at all. There's
> not much adherence to the HIG, for example.)

But Linux / GNU/Linux isn't  mentioned very much in the documentation.
Instead, most of the mentions are in string in the app itself.  People
scanning changelogs might not notice or care about changes in the help
files (presuming the person is from the GDP).  Changes to the source
files, however, will be carefully checked.

> But the fact remains that I'd rather not write 'linux'
> OR 'GNU/Linux' in user documentation. Come to think of
> it, I'd rather not write 'GNOME' either. I'd like to
> be able to write 'Ubuntu', because that's what I'm
> sitting in front of. It's what's written on the
> install discs, and it's on the splash screen and the
> desktop, and the forums where I get support. Coming
> from a one-stop shop like Windows or Mac, the
> linux/GNU/X/GNOME/distro stack feels like quite a lot
> to learn -- and the ordinary user shouldn't have to.

It would be nice.  It may even be possible...
If a new "global defines" were created in gnome-doc-utils that was
included in all the docbook source files, with an entity for the
environment (and others?).  It would default to GNOME, but distros would
only have to change 1 string to replace the mention of GNOME with the
distro name, if they wanted to.

Just an idea
Don