2.10 gconf & Panels & Mime types

Hello All,

I've been looking on the gnome website for docs on how to use gnome as
an admin to set it up for multiple users. Although the Admin Guide for
2.6 has been fairly informational and useful for most of what I'm trying
to do, I'm having a great deal of difficulty figuring out how to create
a default set of panel applets and nautilus/mime types in 2.10.

One thing that is particularly bothersome, is that in 2.10 the gconf
configuration isn't written out to disc immediately as it was in 2.8 -
so I can't look at the files to see what changes without first logging
out. I admit that if I spend some more time on it I can most likely
figure it out on my own, but I would be terribly greatful if someone
could give me an example of:

1) Adding minicommander (or any applet) to the panel as a mandatory setting
-- should be something like this, but the setup has changed
gconftool-2 --dump /apps/panel/profiles/default > my-panel-setup.entries
edit some of the user-spefic info in the created file
gconftool-2 --direct --config-source
xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --load my-panel-setup.entries

2) Adding wine as the default program with which to open files of the
nautilus mime/type of application/x-ms-dos-executable (exe).
-- I'm stumped on this one.

I will be immediately making this information available on
gentoo-wiki.org where I'm currently writing a guide on how to setup a
desktop system for an end-user as would be needed in an
educational/corporate setting.

IMHO, I think that for Linux to really take off, it's more important to
keep an admin guide current then a user guide current, because, let's be
honest, users don't read up on this stuff anyway (9 times out of 10) -
and since windows doesn't have anything as easy to use as gconf for user
interface configuration (as far as I'm aware), it would really gives
Linux a cutting edge, if nowhere else, in the high school where I work
(kinda toying around with some thin-clients right now).

I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks.

--
8^)
Laterz-

---
Luke Skywalker: Your overconfidence is your weakness. Emperor Palpatine:
Your faith in your friends is yours.
begin:vcard
fn:Alvin A ONeal Jr
n:ONeal Jr;Alvin
org:Vergennes Union High School;Information Technology
adr:;;50 Monkton Road;Vergennes;VT;05491;USA
email;internet:CoolAJ86 havenite net
title:Technology Assistant
tel;work:802.877.2938
tel;home:802.985.5277
tel;cell:802.578.0599
note;quoted-printable:DoB: 1986-06-16=0D=0A=
	=0D=0A=
	Address: 34 Fletcher Lane, Shelburne, VT 05482=0D=0A=
	=0D=0A=
	Web Page: http://CoolAJ86.havenite.net
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.vuhs.org