Re: ggv has been branched

tis 2005-06-07 klockan 16:06 -0600 skrev Gary Ekker:
> On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 23:33 +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
> > mån 2005-06-06 klockan 20:44 -0600 skrev Gary Ekker:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > 	The stable branch is now gnome-2-8¸ development branch is HEAD with a
> > > version bump to 2.11.0.
> >
> > I'm confused -- is this stable branch intended as being the stable
> > branch for further GNOME 2.10 releases? In that case, why is it called
> > gnome-2-8 and not gnome-2-10 ?
>
> No reason really. It was versioned at 2.8.5, and had never been branched
> for gnome-2-8 or gnome-2-10. It somehow made sense to me to name the
> branch gnome-2-8 and bump the configure.in to 2.8.6.
>
> If this causes a problem for anyone, i.e. a build system like jhbuild or
> garnome, then I can certainly change it. Otherwise I'll just use the
> gnome-2-8 branch should another stable update be needed for the 2.8/2.10
> series.

I'm afraid the current branch name will be very confusing to many
contributors, not at least translators, who work with many modules at
the same time and rely on branches being named consistently.

The policy (http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/for_maintainers.html) is
that the branch name should indicate the stable GNOME release the branch
is targeted at, which means the *latest* stable GNOME release the branch
is targeted at, if it is supposed to cover many stable releases.
Noone will never ever (hopefully) release a new version of GNOME 2.8,
however naming a new branch "gnome-2-8" implies that you're working
towards such a release, which I'm sure isn't the case. However, the
branch name still indicates that.

Putting it another way: Have a look at
http://l10n-status.gnome.org/gnome-2.10/sv/desktop/ and try to find the
pattern in branch naming...

So yes, if you could find a way to create a stable branch with the
standard name "gnome-2-10", it would be *much* appreciated.

Christian