Re: 2.10 gconf & Panels & Mime types

Hi,

On Sun, 2005-05-29 at 17:31 -0400, Alvin A ONeal Jr wrote:

> One thing that is particularly bothersome, is that in 2.10 the gconf
> configuration isn't written out to disc immediately as it was in 2.8 -
> so I can't look at the files to see what changes without first logging
> out.

	That sounds strange. I don't recall any behavioural changes like that.
Anyway, do gconftool-2 --shutdown and the config will be written to
disk.

> I admit that if I spend some more time on it I can most likely
> figure it out on my own, but I would be terribly greatful if someone
> could give me an example of:
>
> 1) Adding minicommander (or any applet) to the panel as a mandatory setting
> -- should be something like this, but the setup has changed
> gconftool-2 --dump /apps/panel/profiles/default > my-panel-setup.entries
> edit some of the user-spefic info in the created file
> gconftool-2 --direct --config-source
> xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults --load my-panel-setup.entries

	That sounds about right, except in 2.10 you should use /apps/panel
instead of /apps/panel/profiles/default

	Also, some things will be a little strange with this method - e.g. if
you search for launch_location in the dump file it references a .desktop
file which has been copied into the home dir.

	My advice would be to just manually
edit /etc/gconf/schemas/panel-default-setup.entries and load that. It
isn't too hard to add another applet.

Thanks,
Mark.