Re: Starting a Translation of the Gtkmm Tutorial

ons 2005-01-12 klockan 22:27 +0100 skrev Vinzenz Fenstra:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to translate the Gtkmm tutorial into german.
>
> http://gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/tutorial/html/index.html
>
> Now I'd like to know if I can do this with creating a (sub)project on GTP.
> Maybe you could tell me what to do. Or where to read about it.
> The reason why I ask you, is that I've heard that you got a way to
> organise such
> things easily. So it would be easy to see which parts of the Tutorial
> needs to be updated.
>
> BR Vinzenz

At the moment, we don't translate documentation the same way we
translate the user interfaces (i.e. with "po" files). However, we hope
to do so at some point, since po files provide several essential
advantages compared to maintaining translations of plain XML. One such
advantage is that it divides documents into smaller pieces (messages),
allowing you to see exactly what parts have an inconsistent translation
and need updating.

For the moment, what you may want to do is to use the "xml2po" utility
in the "gnome-doc-utils" package/module. This will allow you to
transform the XML/DocBook source of a document into a pot file that you
can translate and maintain. Also, it allows you to reverse the process
and create a translated XML file out of the po file later on.

Christian