Application Installation Guide?

Sorry if this is an FAQ-type question, but I've not found the right
FAQ yet I guess.

We are developing an application for use on GNOME and KDE.

Looking through docs and Googling about, I have not come across a
document describing how to locate the "installation directories" for
GNOME.  On installation of our app, we want to give the option of
creating menu and desktop shortcuts, install icons, etc...

Is there a doc, developer's guide, URL, email thread or something else
that outlines this?

Thanks in advance,
greg.fenton
--