Re: Learnign DocBook

Shaun McCance wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 06:59, Muthiah Annamalai wrote:
> > How do I learn Doc book ?
> > Please help.
> > Cheers
> > Muthu.
>
> The GDP could really stand to put together a "starting out" document.
> But since we don't have one, I'll point you to the Fedora Documentation
> Project's guide.
>
> http://www.fedora.redhat.com/participate/documentation-guide/
>
> The document assumes you know the basics of XML markup, and Chapter 6
> explains only the pieces of DocBook you're likely to need to start out.
> One caveat: The FDP guide doesn't explain the use of the articleinfo and
> bookinfo tags for metadata.  We have some standard tags which we always
> include in the articleinfo/bookinfo of Gnome docs.  You can get a sense
> of what tags to put there by reading other people's docs.
>
> Also, there are some minimal examples in gnome-docu in CVS.  You can
> grab gnome-docu from anonymous CVS with
>
> cvs -d:pserver:anonymous anoncvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome login
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous anoncvs gnome org:/cvs/gnome co gnome-docu
>
> The first command will ask for a password.  Just hit Enter.  You'll now
> have a directoy called gnome-docu.  In there is this directory:
>
> gnome-docu/gdp/gdp-example2/help/gdp-example2-manual/C/
>
> And in there is the file gdp-example2-manual.xml.  That file should be a
> good boilerplate example you can use to develop your own docs.

There are also some fairly recent templates for writing the GNOME Help
manuals available from the following CVS location:

gnome-docu/gdp/templates/gnome-app-template.xml (for Help manuals for
applications)
                         gnome-applet-template.xml (for Help manuals for
applets)

The templates contain a good range of the DocBook tags that you are
likely to need to use in a basic manual.

Regards,
-Irene