Neat selection method, but undocumented?

Some will remember that I was rather bitter that the change
to Gnome 2.0 did away with an alternative and simpler-on-the-
wrists selection method in gnome-terminal for large bodies
of text. I used to do "left-click, lift up finger again,
move mouse, right-click" all the time in Gnome 1.x. You can
still do this in xterm and I think in in konsole.

I have now been told that a similar method does exist in
Gnome 2.x:

(a) left-click, and _start_ to do the drag that normally you do.
(b) lift your finger off the mouse button (stylus whatever) and
move the mouse to where you want the end of the selection
(c) shift-left-click.

I realise lots of people will think "what's so special?", but
if you've ever had a crap mouse or a weird alternative to a
mouse method, you'll know: and it's much nicer on my wrists.
So I'm glad something similar turns out to be around in Gnome.

(I think this would be particularly handy if you have a stylus,
btw. If someone provides me with a PDA, I can find out for
sure :))

So I thought it would be nice to document this; but I have
two problems. First, I don't know what provides this. It
works in gnome-terminal. It works in gedit. It doesn't work
in bug-buddy. It doesn't work in yelp. So what provides it?
Someone on IRC referred to the "gtk text widget", but that
doesn't help me much. So I don't know where this should be
documented.

Second, do we no longer describe how to select text anyway?
All I find in the users guide is "select the text with the
left mouse button": section 1.1.2, in
http://www.gnome.org/learn/users-guide/2.4/gosbasic-2.html#gosgetstarted-45

Telsa