Re: Outdated information in the documenation docs

Hi Christian,

I had been planning to update the gmix docs for GNOME 2.6, as detailed in
the DocTable:
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp/doctable--.html

However, it seems that gmix has been superseded by gst-mixer -- is this
correct? I see that you have made some updates to the docs accordingly.  I
will make further updates to the gst-mixer docs to ensure that they comply
with the GDSG. I will then send the updated docs to you for review and
approval.

Some general points about updating documentation:

* When you update a manual, you must also update the corresponding OMF
file. If you do not update all of the necessary files and entities, you may
cause two versions of a manual to come into existence, which are
out-of-sync with each other.

* One or more of the contributors/reviewers may not want to include all of
the proposed changes. Of course, this second point does not apply to the
current case, as I agree with the changes that you made :)

* You should ensure that the manual complies to the GNOME Documentation
Style Guide (GDSG). As the writers are usually more familiar with the GDSG,
we normally do the actual updates, and ask our developer colleagues to
review the content.

* After the technical review cycle, we perform an editorial review. The
writer usually arranges for the editorial review.

So, the most secure process is if one party does all of the updates, and
the others perform a thorough review. This is the process that we follow
with other developers, and it works well for all parties.

I'm just trying to save you from doing additional work, so that you can
focus on the software :)

Looking forward to working with you,
Breda.