Re: up-to-date manual for gedit?

Ken Beesley wrote:

> Breda,
>
> I just tried out gedit for the first time and read the current on-line
> documentation.
> My gedit itself seems to be 2.2 but the on-line documentation says
> version 2.4.
> We may still have some rough edges here.  :)

Hi Ken,

it's very unusual to have a later version of the documentation than the
software -- can you please double-check the software version by choosing Help
-> About? The 2.4 version of the manual was put back to CVSHEAD when CVSHEAD
was 2.4, not 2.2. Did you download the gedit software and documentation
together in one package? Perhaps you meant that you have Version 2.4 of the
software but that the documentation refers to Version 2.2.2? This often happens
if later versions of the software do not require further updates to the
documentation.

> First reactions:
>
> 1.  I wanted a shortcut to move the cursor to a particular line.   Some
> Cntl + Key command.

This is documented in Section 3.9: To Go to a Specific Line.
The manual describes how to do this from the menubar only.
To find the equivalent keyboard shortcut, see the entry in the menu.
In this case, Search > Go to Line, the shortcut is Ctrl+I.

> 2.  I wanted much more information about Input Methods
>     a.  How can a user define a new input method?
>     b.  How can I install a new input method?
>     c.  When selecting an existing input method, is there any way to
> bring up
>           documentation about that input method during editing?

This type of information is common to many GNOME applications and should be
documented in the GTK User Guide. Perhaps someone else on this list can provide