Re: pronounciation query

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 06:33:50PM +0530 or thereabouts, Jinesh.P.G wrote:
> hai,
>    I am creating some audio scripts for linux commands. May I know how to
> pronounce the commands listed below.

This will undoubtedly vary across the English-speaking world, and
I have no idea at all for the non-English-speaking areas.

> How to pronounce the -R. Wheter - should be pronounced as minus or hyphen.

For "-", I say "minus" or "dash". It isn't a dash really, but I saw it.

> cdrecord

This records CDs, so I say "CD record", with the emphasis on the cord to
show that it's the verb and not the noun.

> mkisofs -R

This makes an iso filesystem, and I say "muck" for most of the
"mk-something" commands. So "muck eye so eff ss" and so
"muck eye so eff ess space minus capital arr"

If I were telling someone down the phone and was not -completely-
sure they understood, I would do it character by character, and for
anything living in /sbin and /usr/sbin, I would read that out character
by character including the full path, too!

Really, there is no standard. I have heard

"see aitch mod"
"shuh mod"
"chuh mod"
..all for chmod

And I look at "twm" and think it is obviously and clearly one syllable,
pronounced somewhere between "tum" and "toom" (to rhyme with "cwm"!)
Which I do not think is quite so obvious or clear to everyone.

I am not sure what an audio script is, but I think it will be very
hard to get right.

Telsa