Re: Email viruses

Today at 17:07, Telsa Gwynne wrote:

> So yes, if you know about that alias, it is effectively
> open to anyone to post to.
>
> However, to make things worse, lots of the virus-laden emails
> purport to come from people who are indeed subscribed to the
> mailing list. But they're not. The headers are forged.

I'm just testing this hypotheses: I actually believe that the problem
is with forged headers only, and that the alias has nothing to do with
it.  So, I'm sending from unsubscribed address, and if this shows up on
gnome-doc-list, then I'm wrong, and docs gnome org alias really allows
messages through without any kind of checking.

If, OTOH, this message doesn't show up on the list, then I'm right,
and there's really no need to remove the alias, other than it
probably being included in some lists of "spammable" lists with the
corresponding list of subscribers.

Cheers,
Danilo