Cantus 3 documentation

Hello,

In preparation of the Cantus 3 final release with closer GNOME
integration I have prepared a simple End User Documentation. Anyway, I
am not a native english speaker, so the result is probably unsatisfying.

Talking to the desktop-devel-list for GNOME2.8 preparation I have been
asked to check the documentation with you guys, so I would be happy to
receive your comments.

I have appended the documentation as a .tex document; I hope that is the
right format. Please let me know if it is not.

The project homepage ist here:
http://www.debain.org/?project=3

A second question: Is proper API documentation also required for GNOME
inclusion? In that case, I would appreciate your comments on it also:

http://www.debain.org/cantus/cantus3_api.html

-Samuel

\documentclass{article}
\title{Cantus 3}
\author{Samuel Abels}
\date{February 2004}
\begin{document}
\maketitle
\tableofcontents
% --------------------------------------------------------------
\section{Indroduction}
  \subsection{What is Cantus?}
  Cantus is an easy to use Tag Editor, primarily made to tag Audio files.

% --------------------------------------------------------------
\section{The Mainwindow}
  The mainwindow consists of basicly two elements:

  \begin{itemize}
  \item  The filebrowser in the middle of the window, consisting of a directory
         tree on the left side and filelist on the right side.
  \item  The toolarea, on the bottom of the window.
  \end{itemize}

  The toolarea can also be shown on the right of the window. Refer to
  \ref{mainwindow:menus}Menus.

\subsection{Menus}
\label{mainwindow:menus}
  The "File" menu has currently only one item: "Quit" exits the program
  immidiately.

  The "Edit" menu provides "Cut", "Copy" and "Paste" to lets you do clipboard
  operations with any selected text. By clicking on "Preferences", the
  Preferences dialog will be opened.

  The "View" menu lets you change the window appearance. You can choose the
  position of the Tools, eighter right or bottom.

\subsection{Viewing Tags}
  Use the directory browser in the mainwindow to navigate to the directory
  containing the files you want to view.
  By clicking on the directory the filelist will show your files up.
  If it does not, you might want to look at section \ref{pref:filebrowser}
  File Browser Preferences.

  Then, mark the file whose tag you want to view by clicking on it. When you
  do, the pluginarea will show up, showing all informations regarding the tags
  of the chosen file.

  Once you have selected a file and the tools have become visible, select a
  tool by clicking on its tab label. For example, click on "ID3V2 Tag" to
  edit the tag fields.

  The current tag of the file shows up.

\subsection{Writing Tags}
  Once you have opened a file and view the tag in a tool, you can edit its tag
  fields. For example, enter "My superb Artist" in the "Artist" entry box.
  To mark the field for writing, activate the check box right from the entry
  box.

  Repeat the above procedure for every field that you want to change.

  When ready, click "Save" and the tag will be written to all files that are
  currently selected in the filebrowser.
  All fields that do not have the checkbox activated will be left untouched.

\section{Preferences}
  The preferences dialog lets you customize Cantus to fit your needs.

\subsection{File Browser Preferences}
\label{pref:filebrowser}
  You can customize the File Browser appearance in this section of the
  preferences dialog.

  The "Startup Directory" is the directory that Cantus will open immidiately
  after program startup.
  If the startup directory can not be found, your home directory will be opened.
  If your home directory can not be found, the filesystem root will be opened.

  The "Show filetypes" lets you specify all filetypes that you consider being
  of interest for you. You can enter glob-style patterns there. For example,
  to display .ogg files only, enter "*.ogg".
  To display .ogg and .flac files as well, enter "*.ogg,*.flac".

  By activating the "Show hidden files" checkbox you indicate Cantus not to
  skip files beginning with a dot (".").

\section{About this Document}
Written by Samuel Abels. Please refer comments to the author.

Current Revision: 1.0
\end{document}