Re: Guidlines and Skeletons for Epiphany Help Documentation

On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 10:06, Pat Costello wrote:

> > <snip/>
> >
> > Thanks for the comments Pat I'm going to integrate them into the docs right
> > away. For the most part I'm trying to cut and paste as much documentation
> > from existing gnome docs as possible, so that I can avoid terminology and
> > consistency issues. One question I do have is about gfdl. Do i need to add
> > the original copyright owners of the documentation I've cut and pasted from
> > to the epiphany copyright holders?
> >

> Dave,
>
> When cutting-and-pasting from one GNOME document to another came up in the past,
> we settled on using an Acknowledgement section in the front matter as the best
> way to give due credit. Under the GFDL, you only need to add copyright credits
> for previous contributors to the document in question. Seeing as the Epiphany
> User Guide is a new document, then there can be no previous copyright holders
> for that document.

Well, it is not quite correct. By GFDL, any use of the document other
than copying the whole doc unchanged is called "modifying", so
cut-and-paste falls under "modifying a document", too. Thus when you
create a new document by borrowing pieces from existing docs, according
to GFDL, the document you created should be considered a "modified
version" of the original docs, so legally, you have to include the
previous authors.

But I agree: legalities aside, the most reasonable way would be to
include an "Acknowledgments" section. To be legally clean, you might
want to ask original copyright holders if they agree to that - if they
do, then you are fine.  I do not think anyone would object...