Re: GNOME Newsletter...writing and editing

Bill Haneman wrote:
Hello folks:

If you only have time to read one of the links I posted, please read the
AFB whitepaper; it's short and to the point.

Fixing this problem (or at least, attaining parity with Windows when it
comes to PDF accessibility) is high on the accessibility wish list.

Actually, sun is working on a xsl fo -> pdf processor called xmlroff that will be use "gnome" technologies like pango for the basis. AFAIK they are based on Ireland - the project's cvs lives on sourceforge.

To do it, we'd need both ends of the chain; since the Adobe tools for
non-Windows don't include accessible-content support, nor does the Adobe
non-Windows readers... we need content creation support.  Perhaps pdflib
can be extended to write the necessary accessibility tags (basically
redundant text info accompanying the content), providing the PDF 1.4
spec is freely implementable as were the old versions.  Then we'd need
to make xpdf or whatever pdf reading libs we use (pdflib again?) would
need to be extended to read this same information back, and they'd need
to expose the information in their UI via AtkText.  I suppose a simple
component that extracted the plaintext and put it into a terminal, text
editor, or GtkTextView would work fine as well.

This would make a great project for somebody.... :-)

It sounds more like two distinct projects 8-)

best regards,

Bill