Re: Yelp document chunking

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 09:11, Alexander Kirillov wrote:
> Great job!
> I'd love to see this in GNOME 2.4. I guess it is up to Yelp maintainer
> to make a new release

Yeah, so would I.  As they constitute a fairly major change, they really
have to go in by the 9th, or wait for 2.6.

> One minor question: could you also provide a version of these
> stylesheets to be used separately from yelp - e.g., to create documents
> for posting on the web? We have an old set of such stylesheets in
> gnome-docu/gdp/xsl, but it could use some updating.

I'm not sure how feasible this is.  Yelp has different chunking needs,
as it doesn't actually create separate files for chunks.  Consequently,
Yelp doesn't use nwalsh's chunking stuff at all.  I think it might be
possible to plug Yelp's chunking mechanism into nwalsh's stuff, but I'd
have to tinker for a while.

That said, I don't actually like Yelp's chunking mechanism.  The whole
use-comments-as-chunk-delimiters is very sloppy.  I have ideas on how to
do this differently, and these could easily be extended to do the file
chunking needed for GDP.  But that's not anything I can produce in the
2.4 timeframe.

For the time being, I'll gladly do any updates or fixes needed on the
GDP stylesheets.  But I have to know what needs to be done.  I didn't
see any stylesheet bugs under website/gdp in bugzilla.  Would they be
filed elsewhere?

--
Shaun