Re: Email addresses in GNOME manuals...

On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 05:42, Irene Ryan wrote:
> Hi Sasha,
>
> As you know, the current templates for GNOME online manuals include a
> section for the email address of the author. I'd like to suggest that we
> make this address optional in the templates. There are two reasons why
> I'm suggesting this, as follows:
>
> * Since the Sun docteam address has been circulated on manuals, we've
> seen a considerable increase in SPAM to that address. I'm sure other
> authors have noticed the same thing.
>
> * The author's email address detracts attention from the real link that
> users should be using to provide feedback, ie. the GNOME Feedback Page.
> We have received feedback about applications and manuals directly to the
> email address given at the top of the manual and when I've tried to
> forward the feedback onto the developers, I've found that a lot of email
> addresses for them are obsolete. It would be better if the only point of
> contact the user has is via the Feedback page. That way, the feedback
> gets directed to the appropriate person automatically.
>
> What do you think? If you agree, I can update the templates to make it
> clear that the author's email address is optional.

I'm fine with this change in the templates. Like Malcolm, I may continue
to put my address in there, but if the load of spamness is too high,
I've not objection to leaving it out by default.

Cheers,
John
--
John Fleck
http://www.inkstain.net http://www.abqjournal.com

"Sometimes, a diner is all about the mac and cheese."
  - Zippy the Pinhead