Re: Cross-linking [was Re: Organization of gnome-user-docs, display in yelp]

On 18 Feb 2003 Eric said:

> A simple XSL stylesheet could be written to substitute <xref> tags
> with <link> tags using the ghelp URI.  If you want this stylesheet
> written to use the ghelp URI please let me know.

Thanks for the offer Eric.

The <xref> thing is a bit of a red herring. The real problem is that the
slowness of Yelp forced us to split big books up into separate chapters so they
would display properly. The <xref> limitation is only a consequence of that
splitting up. The more serious consequence of the splitting up is the random-
looking ordering of the book chapters in Yelp.

Really, what we want us for the books, mainly the user guide, to be combined
into a single book again, so that the separate chapters are not displayed in a
confusing, illogical fashion in Yelp. We can do this recombination now that
pre-generation is generally used.

If we recombine the user guide into a single book in the Yelp display then there
is no need for us to worry about the <xref> tag.

Let's just submit big books such as the user guide as a single book, and work
them with pre-generation for a timely display in Yelp.

Pat