Re: About translating documents (.xml/.sgml) in GNOME

Christian,

This, of course, (and that's the reason I really don't like this idea) brings all the problems. If translation is done in PO-style, you have to create new entries. Entries for which there is no original. How do you want to handle this? Make up unique dummy-strings to be used as msgid's? These not only have to be unique to the file, but unique to the database, since else you cannot really use a po-database, else you'll get all the wrong placements. Alternatively, use the translation not only as msgstr, but also as msgid? What do you do when you have an update to the original and try a new merge? Place a unique character sequence in front of the translation to be able to determine the things you have to leave out? Like the opposite of not marking it for translation? Well, it's doable but not very nice, as far as I can see.

I've yet to experience such a situation where extra paragraphs are
needed (perhaps because I'm only experienced with translating into
Swedish),

Me too. In some cases it might be helpful, but I believe that often there's a way to avoid it. If you are a translator, for example, who likes to add a lot of new major tags, then well, maybe PO is not the way to go for you. That's the reason why I said that IMO, adding new paragraphs, etc. by the translator shouldn't be allowed in the first place (at least not by default). I know a lot of people doing cjk-translations, and none of them requires any new tags either.

but wouldn't it be possible to add extra paragrahps as needed
in the msgstr at the appropriate places, and have the conversion tool
accomodate for that when merging back? An example:

msgid ""
"A paragraph in the original. Foo bar veni vidi vici etc."
msgstr ""
"Ett stycke i originalet. Apa veni vidi vici osv.\n"
"\n"
"Andra stycket i originalet, osv. Kan inte skriva bra exempel."

But how does the tool know it's a paragraph you want to add? What if you are currently processing an entry? Does that mean you want to add another paragraph in the entry, or do you maybe want to add another entry? And what if you want to add another listitem, how do you distinguish? With some new tags you introduce into PO-files? I personally do not like this idea at all. The po-approach is so good, exactly because you don't have to worry about any structural information. You simply have text-items and you translate them. IMO, structural change should not be allowed, since this exactly introduces an IMO disadvantage of the entire approach.

That's why I'd go two ways. PO, exclusively for documents where the translation process does not incur any structural changes to the document itself (which are all the documents I am working with). For others, I don't think PO is (or even should be) an option. There's too much change involved to the PO-method itself.

The conversion tool would treat the single "\n" on a line by itself as
the start of a new paragraph. Then you have solved the "translations
need extra entries" problem (here illustrated by adding an extra
paragraph), if I understand the description of the problem correctly.
And you've also specified in which order and place the extra entry
should occur. I doubt that adding anything besides extra paragraphs will
be a common action.

I personally don't like this idea at all. And it doesn't solve the "translations need extra entries" problem either, since Malcolm rightfully said that sometimes, it might be helpful for the translation to add another step, i.e. listitem, or another footnote. I do not believe we should start to accomodate a few of them. Either we do it, or we don't. And I believe we shouldn't at all, not with the PO-method, exactly because it takes away the whole reason why I am using PO in the first place. I want to be able to translate, without having to worry about any structural layout of the document itself.

Next, you will have to extend your tool (we're using kbabel), since adding new entries is generally not supported. That requires more engineering effort on a third-party tool.

IMO, if a document is anticipated to undergo quite a few such changes, then I don't think PO-files are a good option.

Why? Please don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. It seems to me
that this is purely a design issue with an infrequent issue, and an
issue that the conversion tool alone needs to handle. There's no problem
with the po format itself here, and no problem that any format (besides
XML or any other markup based format) wouldn't encounter aswell. And the
drawbacks of translating entire markup-based documents we already know.

Huh? I am completely PRO-PO. I am simply opposed to adding any structural information either in the msgid, or the msgstr. If translators want to add away (which IMO doesn't have to be a necessity), then PO might not be the way to go for them. I believe structure should not be an issue at all when translating PO's. I don't even want to know what I am translating, other than that it is text.

I'd rather convert the whole thing into something that gives me something a little more WYSIWYG.

Docbook isn't wysiwyg to begin with. ;-)

Neither is HTML, but we've got "WYSIWYG"-editors for HTML too. ;-)

However, I do not want my SGML DocBook documents in WYSIWYG, I want the text, and nothing but the text, in PO-Format. I don't want to care about what the structure looks like, I don't even want to know what a paragraph is. :-)

Cheers,
Bernd

--
Disclaimer: http://apac.redhat.com/disclaimer