Re: Documentation on the web

Hi Sean,

You are doing some great work in getting GNOME user documentation onto the web. Your approach looks very promising, and looks like a great contribution. Some thoughts, suggestions and questions:

- I think that this approach is the most useful for the "heavyweight" documentation. The stuff that people like to bookmark and reference from time to time. Or even print out. The GNOME 2.2 Desktop User Guide, the GNOME 2.2 Desktop Accessibility, the GNOME 2.2 System Administration Guide, for example. The fairly long revision cycle for these larger books would suit the library approach.

- I think that trying to provide a comprehensive library of the individual application online Help manuals could prove to be mission impossible. These manuals are constant works-in-progress, always under revision, and therefore always out-of-date if placed in a library. Users are less likely to want to access the application manuals as works of reference.

- Does your approach offer a resolution to the permanently out-of-date status of project-support documentation, such as the GNOME Documentation Style Guide and the Human Interface Guidelines? There have been updated revs of both the GDSG and the HIG putback to CVS for some time, but the updates have never made it onto the web. It would be really great if your approach broke that logjam.

Thanks,

Pat