Re: We need a new i18n doc build system

Thanks for bringing this up.

Christian Neumair kirjutas L, 09.08.2003 kell 14:32:
> Proposals to solve those problems (maybe already for 2.6):
>  - Have a system which generates language-specific xml files from our po
> files, similar to gettext (add DOC_ALL_LINGUAS macro?).
The autogen's DOC_ALL_LINGUAS should cooperate with some system wide
variable, because user usually needs one or two translations of a
manual.
>  - Maybe add new groups/modules to i18n status pages (New
> cat.:desktop-doc; New mod.: gnome-applet-doc, etc.)
One more idea for future (Gnome3 maybe)
*-doc packages (or *-doc-LANG):
  - more freedom to documentation translators (and users), because they
	don't have to wait until the package itself is updated to new 	version.
(something like: foo-doc-1.3-r2, if version of foo is 	1.3)
  - reduced download time of the package itself (i assume that in
	Gnome3 we have lots of i18n'ed translations. If docs size is 	about 1
MB  and we have about 5 or 6 translated variants it 	would suck up all
the bandwidth and diskspace)
  - when it comes to diskspace, the packages install all the translated
	locales to the system. (user usually needs one or two, rarely 	three on
his/her machine) So it would be nice to have system 	wide variable or
commandline argument which cooperates with 	autogen and installs
documentation only for defined locales.

--
Priit Laes <amd tt ee>