Re: Online help - status update

On Thursday 05 September 2002 06:18, Pat Costello wrote:
> The Lampadas demo is very impressive. Will the first implementation for
> GNOME be the real thing? Or are we just doing a test run? When can we
> start using Lampadas?

Why thank you. I'm glad you like it. At the risk of seeming a braggart, I
do think it is a pretty damned cool system, even in its incomplete state.
And I think its potential in a few years from now is absolutely
phenomenal. I have in the back of my mind many things planned that go way
beyond what you see now.

This is *not* a test run, it is the real thing.

Even though the first implementation will be the real thing, its quality
is rather mixed. As I said before, the meta-data stuff is ready for beta,
but the rendering stuff is not yet there. And I'm very unhappy with some
parts of the implementation which are both inelegant and inflexible.

Be prepared for it possibly to take a couple of weeks to get it up and
running well, depending what issues we run into that I have not found in
my own testing. I do test pretty well, so I the optimist in me expects to
have few issues, but the pessimist in me is prepared for the worst.

> > On Wednesday 04 September 2002 20:18, Eric Baudais wrote:
> > > It seems pretty easy to setup.  The only thing which could possibly
> > > go wrong is the interaction with mysql instead of postgres.  I
> > > don't think it will be an issue though.  If David thinks it is
> > > ready David and Greg need to get together.  Once Lampadas is
> > > running I'll be willing to start entering the documentation into
> > > the system and adding users.
> >
> > Sounds good.
> >
> > Lampadas is not ready for production, really, not as a whole. But it
> > is to the state where I really need it to be in use in order to
> > identify the remaining problems. I don't expect it to eat data, but I
> > expect you will have complaints/suggestions on how to improve it.
> >
> > If and when those changes require database changes, we'll have to
> > export/reimport the data, which will be a bit of a bother but not a
> > serious issue.
> >
> > FYI, I have a script that parses through all .omf files in the CVS
> > tree and populates the database as it is able. That might be helpful
> > to you, and save you some typing.
> >
> > The biggest current issue in Lampadas is that I have a lot of trouble
> > generating outputs for the source files. One reason I suggest going
> > ahead with the installation is because I can work on that part of the
> > system using your real data (without any risk to the rest of the
> > system).
> >
> > Another issue is that the translation management interface is pretty
> > weak. I hope to get your help in making it better -- not code, just
> > advice.
> >
> > Enough rambling. I'm ready to go and looking forward to seeing this
> > beast at Gnome! Woo Hoo!

- --
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david lupercalia net
Lead Developer                                 http://www.tldp.org

A little rebellion now and then...is a medicine necessary for the sound
health of government.
	-- Thomas Jefferson