Re: folder vs. directory

I still find this quite confusing. E.g., what should I use in sentences
like

"Your configuration settings are stored in [folder|directory] .gnome in
your home [folder|directory]"

I am not describing GUI - but if I use word "directory", I'll confuse
users, since in User Guide, there is no mention of "home directory" but
only "home location" and "home folder"...

Sasha