Re: Definition of "desktop" - was a Usability topic.

> <quote who="Pat Costello">
>
> > Jeff states:
> >
> > > But the desktop is the "thingy wot has icons on it"...
> >
> > Interestingly, there has been low-intensity smouldering over the term
> > "desktop" for some time. I'd like to refer you (and everyone else) to the
> > GNOME Foundation statement on the http://www.gnome.org/intro/findout.html
> > page, namely:
> >
> > o The GNOME desktop: an easy to use windows-based environment for users.
> >
> > This definition does not imply that the desktop is the "thingy behind the
> > icons". This definition in fact implies that the desktop is the sum of all
> > parts, in other words the complete environment.
>
> Yes, I'm guilty of muddying the waters here too; I pushed pretty hard for
> the release category to be called the 'GNOME Desktop'.
>
> I think my disagreement is mostly contextual. We have a number of contexts
> for the word 'desktop':
>
>   - Pure user interface level: 'button', 'window', 'desktop', 'menu',
>     'panel', 'icon'
>
>   - Release category level: 'Desktop release', 'Developer Platform release',
>     'Fifth Toe release'
>
>   - Computer level: 'Desktop computer', 'Server', 'Thin client'
>
> Mixing up the vocabulary in each context is dreadfully bad. This is my chief
> problem with labelling what's currently known as the 'Foot Menu', 'Desktop'.
> That confuses its role in the user interface level -> it is not the desktop.
>
> The confusion between the user interface level and release level is real,
> however, and a big bummer. If we call everything the 'GNOME Desktop', and
> then proceed to confuse everyone by trying to call only one small chunk of
> the user visible functionality 'desktop', our users lose out.
>
> I don't think I've come to a productive conclusion, sorry. :-)

Jeff, although you haven't reached a definitive conclusion, you have at least
clarified for everyone that there is serious inconsistency in the use of the
term "desktop". I agree with you that the so-called Foot Menu cannot be called
the Desktop Menu, even if we concur that the term "desktop" has a universal
connotation. However, in Roberto's suggestion for menu rejigging, the Foot Menu
had dropped out. Main Menu had taken over from the existing Actions Menu with
some additions. My suggestion was that the menus in that category are
global-type menus, actions taken at the top-level, not at application or
component level. Therefore, a suitable name for that type of menu would be
Desktop Menu. This would tie in with the core GNOME Foundation definition of
"desktop". We can eradicate the inconsistent usage of "desktop" at the other
levels you mentioned by changing the nomenclature where we find inconsistent
usage.

Pat