Re: Screenshots in Gnumeric Docs.

To quote things slightly out of order.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 07:53:07PM -0600, Kevin Breit wrote:
> > As Scott points out there is a usecase for element docs.  Specificly
> > finding an explanation of what some feature actually does.
> The problem is, if we don't have context sensitive help available in the
> Gtk code, whats the point of having it in the XML?

> > Revamping the set of screenshots seems like a low priority for now.
> > Changes there will happen over time.
> I'm not saying do it now.  Doing it now would be a waste of time.  But
> it's something I'd like to start to plan ahead about.  The screenshots
> do need to be updated for 1.2 though, and I don't intend on waiting till
> the last minute on them.  That is my only point.
Yes, we should plan ahead.
Having the content necessary for context help will make it alot more
likely that it gets hooked up.  I've got no problem winnowing or
changing the set of screenshots when the time comes to regenerate
them for 1.2.  going from 300 -> 30 seems like overkill.

> > quickly.  Trying to document the power features as they are being
> > implemented seems like an excercise in frustration.  Those docs will
> > likely be generated as the features firm up.
> Is there a really estimated ETA about feature firm up? (sounds like an
> exercise machine)
I'd estimate that it will take another 2-3 years with the current
team to reach a point where we've covered all of the major features
of MS Excel.  That is not to say that there will be no 'innovation'
between now and then.  However, it will take a while to fill in all
the pieces while maintaining production values.

> > > Introduction
> > optional
> Any good manual should have an introduction about what the product does,
> etc.
Blah.
I still say optional.  However, I probably do not represent the
ideal use case.

> > > Index (optional)
> > NOT optional,  A good quality index is paramount.
> > Very few people want to read an manual.  They want to be able to
> > jump to the section they are interested in.
> I agree.  In general, this is not optional.  It's not overly hard to
> implement anyways.  Getting one in Gnumeric shouldn't be a problem at
> all.
Only partly true.  An index is like a hard coded search engine.  The
trick is to cover all the potential phrased people may use to get
where they want.  That takes time.