Re: Did I miss something? (gnome2-user-guide)

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 02:28:15PM -0700, Chris Lyttle wrote:
> [...]
> > OK. I think I understand that you wish to preserve the changes. I propose
> > an alternative that may be a better solution (at least for me). First we
> > tag current CVS with gnome-omf-branch, then create a branch from that.
> > This branch would preserve the OMF changes made. I then revert the OMF
> > file changes in HEAD, tag it GNOME-USER-DOCS-2-0-0 and do a release based
> > on that. I then merge in the gnome-omf-branch at a future time when a
> > version of scrollkeeper is released that supports the changes. This would
> > allow us to continue using HEAD while preserving the changes to the OMF
> > format that Eugene has proposed.
>
> If you're going to do that, please do it the consistent (with the other
> packages) way: the gnome-2-0 branch (the name is important) should
> contain stuff specific for GNOME 2.0.x (with whatever reversions are
> deemed necessary). HEAD contains all the bleeding edge stuff (like the
> short title changes).  Otherwise gnome-user-docs is operating on a
> completely different system to every other GNOME 2 module.

My reason for doing it this way wasn't to branch off into the
stable/unstable branches the rest of gnome is using. It was to move the
current brokenness out of HEAD. If I remember correctly that proposal for
gnome-2-0 branches also meant that HEAD was kept in working condition. As
it stands at the moment its not, the changes made by sun means the module
still compiles, but the documentation completely does not show up in Yelp.
If there, for example, was a completely new set of docs being developed
for gnome 2.2 added into this module then I would do exactly what you say.
Right now I want to get the broken OMF files out of HEAD either by
reverting or by branching the brokenness off.
Bear in mind here that scrollkeeper does not support this right now and we
are still waiting on Dan Muet to have time to release a version that does.
That may or may not be before GNOME 2.0.1

Chris

--
RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
	|^|
	| |^| | |  Life out here is raw
	| | |^| |  But we will never stop
	| |_|_| |  We will never quit