Re: Shortened titles in OMFs and Yelp

On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Martijn van Beers wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 03:33:03PM -0600, John Fleck wrote:
> > Then when Yelp parses the title tag, it can look for a short attribute
> > and render that if present. If not, it renders the full title.
>
> *cough* Doesn't that make it painfully clear that this isn't a
> solution?? Yelp still needs to be able to render longer titles. So make
> it do that gracefully instead of piling all sorts of crap onto the OMF.

Its not a question of 'is able to'. The thing rendered is just a string
and it doesn't have a limit, really long ones just won't look nice and the
present titles contain information that is pretty useless to a user of the
desktop and don't look nice either. Hence the problem to be solved - how
do we make sure OMF files contain a title that help browser developers can
use without a fear of getting bugs files against them or confusing users.
The easiest way is to just put the short title in <title>...</title> and
put teh long one somewhere else (like the description field), but as
noted, that has its own drawbacks.

> Martijn

	Sander

	This is the place where all