xmllint and —

Hello,
I hope that this is not a stupid question:

I've been using xmllint to check the XML of the document I'm working on.
There's only one error left to figure out.  xmllint doesn't seem to like
—

daniel]$ xmllint --noout gdict.xml
gdict.xml:269: error: Entity 'mdash' not defined
      <guimenuitem>Manual</guimenuitem> &mdash; shows this manual.

It seems that xmllint is expecting an ENTITY tag for mdash (just like
version).  Interestingly, xmllint doesn't have any problem with &lt; and
&gt;

I hope I'm not anoying anyone with stupid questions.  Please remember that
I'm new here :)

Cheers,
Daniel.