Re: Greetings...

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 02:46:30PM -0000, Mark Levitt wrote:
> [Sorry if this shows up twice. My e-mail account and the list server don't
> seem to agree on what my e-mail address actually is...]
>

> Well, the web page says to send an e-mail and say hello, so I am...
>
> I'd like to get involved in documentation for Gnome if possible. Obviously,
> I've got limited time,  but I'd certainly like to do what I can.
>
> I'm a technical author by day and a Linux geek by night, so I figure this is
> the best way to join.

Actual expertise in technical writing! Fabulous.

> I write mostly user guides and reference manuals. I've done some API
> documentation and lots of online help.
>
> I've read through the Handbook and I've got a couple of questions:
>
> First, is there any way to get FrameMaker to integrate with DocBook? I
> expect FrameMaker+SGML might be convinced to do this? And FrameMaker 6 can
> output XML. Any pointers on this?

Dunno. We typically use emacs and psgml mode, but there might be
someone out there using FrameMaker for this who could chime in?

> Second, is there a Style Guide for Gnome documentation? For example, is
> there a standard way of referring to dialog box elements, icons, desktop
> items, etc.

http://developer.gnome.org/documents/style-guide/

One of the major areas of effort over the next six weeks will be using
the Style Guide to edit documents if you're interesting in helping in
that effort.

Cheers,

John