Re: Confused over DocBook XML

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 04:14:54PM +0000, Andy Piper wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Wondering if someone can clear something up for me...
>
> Should existing GNOME 1.x projects look to move to the DocBook
> XML format, or is that only intended for GNOME 2? I need to
> update the Anjuta manual in the near future, and I'd like to
> know which format is best to use given that we are currently
> still at the 1.4 platform level.
>
> If I should move us to DocBook XML from SGML, do I need a
> different set of tools to build the documentation? Have the
> templates in CVS all been updated?
>
> Sorry, but I've not been following the discussions in detail, so
> I've become rather confused on these points. Thanks for any
> advice offered.

Andy -

If your intent is to work on GNOME 1.x, then you should stick with sgml for
now. Rendering/displaying XML will require the GNOME 2 tool kit, which will
include the ability to display the XML directly, on-the-fly, without having to
generate html when we build packages and installing that.

Cheers,

John