Re: GNOME Styleguide Compendium

Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> writes:

> Some other ideas that came up:
>
>   - Move them all into a styleguide module in CVS, integrate various
>     sections, use a single build system. This will ease cooperative
>     development, assist with publishing on the web, and keep them together
>     for developer use.

Sounds great.  I think it would definitely be good to get them in CVS so
we can all see where they're going.  If we do that, it might be good to
mark some sections as being tentative or something, so if we change
direction, people looking at CVS versions don't get burned.  But in
general, letting people look at them easily can only help.

>   - Use similar stylesheets when publishing the documents, so they appear as
>     integrated documents.

We need to do this, anyway.  Additionally, if we could get them in a
printable form it would totally rock!  We could start the GNOME
press. (-;

>   - Reference and use the GNOME sample application (currently gnome-hello,
>     but gedit has been proposed for use in the future) in each.

I think that this might be better as a "How to get started with GNOME"
tutorial-type thing.  No, I'm not volunteering to write it, but ideally
it would take the user through all the steps of making a GNOME
application.  I think gedit may be too big for this.

>   - Perhaps concentrate development of the guides on a single list, and use
>     the existing lists for detailed discussion of the various topics. (Yes,
>     the awful "another list" suggestion.)

We have enough lists in GNOME.  You should only be allowed to make a new
list if you kill an old one concurrently. (-:

Thanks,
-Jonathan